‘We Remain Optimistic’: Santa Anita Still Awaiting Go-Ahead For Friday Racing

Officials at Santa Anita Park told the Thoroughbred Daily News Tuesday that “we remain optimistic about running on Friday” despite not having received official approval from local county health officials to do so.

News broke Tuesday that stay-at-home orders for Los Angeles County and likely the state of California will be extended through July, though it’s still unclear whether some businesses could still reopen in that time.

Santa Anita Park has not held racing since March 27.

On Monday, the existing stay-at-home order in the area had been set to expire. Horsemen at Santa Anita were told Monday to be ready to enter horses on Tuesday for Friday’s card.

Last week, the track held a practice run of the new protocols it says would be in place if it were permitted to run. Horses will be handled in the walking ring and post-race by track-employed grooms, to minimize exposure of jockeys to staff from multiple barns. Horses will be exchanged in the receiving barn before the race and in the test barn or track gap after the race. There will be no winner’s circle ceremonies, and riders and some personnel would be required to live on-site to avoid exposure to those in the nearby Arcadia community.

Read more at Thoroughbred Daily News

The post ‘We Remain Optimistic’: Santa Anita Still Awaiting Go-Ahead For Friday Racing appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

DYFD Winter - 300x90

Comments are closed.