Pony Mistakenly Overdosed On Pergolide Has No Lasting Effects

A pony in Germany was accidentally given 110 times the veterinary recommended dose of pergolide (sold under the name Prascend). The most prescribed medication for horses that suffer from pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction (called PPID or Cushing’s disease), pergolide mimics dopamine’s action in the body.

Instead of being given half of a 1-milligram tablet (.5 milligrams), the pony was given 55 tablets. The mistake was discovered four hours after the pony had been medicated. The veterinary exam showed that the horse had an increased heart rate, but no other symptoms.

To try to prevent any additional absorption of the medication, vets gave the pony paraffin oil and activated charcoal through a nasogastric tube. They also administered two drugs: One to prevent heart arrhythmias, which is a known side effect of pergolide overdose in humans, and one to counter pergolide’s dopamine-biding action.

The pony was unusually anxious for the week after his overdose, reacting to bright lights and fast movement. He also had a decreased appetite. Within eight days of his overdose, the pony was back to normal.

Researchers concluded that the pergolide overdose resulted in only minor, temporary effects.

Read more at EQUUS magazine.

The post Pony Mistakenly Overdosed On Pergolide Has No Lasting Effects appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

DYFD Winter - 300x90

Comments are closed.