Germany To Resume Spectator-Free Racing May 1; Prize Money Cut

Horse racing in Germany will resume behind closed doors from May 1, the country’s racing authority has announced.

Deutscher Galopp has published a provisional six-week racing programme that will begin at Hanover and run until the meeting at Munich on June 15.

All the fixtures, which have been chosen in locations with the intention of keeping travel to a minimum, will be staged with no spectators.

A number of Group 2, Group 3 and Listed races are on the schedule including the German 1,000 Guineas, to be run at Dusseldorf on June 7.

Germany has reported 105,000 COVID-19 cases so far but has a far lower mortality rate than other European countries.

Dr Michael Vesper, the president of Deutscher Gallop said arrangements for the meetings would be made in conjunction with regional authorities.

“We are certain that we can reliably meet the requirements for the restrictions that continue to be necessary,” he said.

Due to the necessity of having no spectators, prize-money will be cut by 50 per cent but minimum levels of €3,000 will be retained.

Deutscher Galopp has also asked participants to halve their fees and German betting companies to waive all fees until there is a full resumption of racing.

“This is a bridging period between the phase without races and the one with races in front of spectators. It therefore lasts as short as possible and as long as necessary,” said Jan Pommer, managing director of Deutscher Gallop.

Pommer said all races will be broadcast live and free of charge on the Deutscher Galopp website and other digital platforms during this period.

“We want to make the best of this location and present our great racing to even more people. We hope to win new fans like this,” he said.

Originally published at HorseRacingPlanet.com. Republished with permission.

The post Germany To Resume Spectator-Free Racing May 1; Prize Money Cut appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

DYFD Winter - 300x90

Comments are closed.