Chincoteague Pony Found Dead After Ingesting Dog Food

One of the famed Chincoteague Ponies living on Virginia's Assateague Island was found dead in a campground on Friday, reports CBS Baltimore. The 7-year-old mare named Chama Wingapo (N2BHS-AI) apparently ingested large amounts of dog food, causing an intestinal blockage and rupture which resulted in her death. Officials are not sure whether the mare was fed the dog food or found it on her own.

“Most dog food contains corn, soybean, and animal products with a very high carbohydrate, protein and fat content,” reads a post on the Assateague Island National Seashore's Facebook page. “This recipe is too rich, and in large amounts is deadly for an Assateague wild horse whose natural forage consists of low nutrient, high fiber saltmarsh and beach grasses.”

Visitors to Assateague Island are being reminded of the proper storage procedures for all food items brought into the campgrounds, including securing coolers with a nylon strap, zippered closures on all totes and bags, storing all unattended food in a vehicle, and immediately disposing of all trash in the appropriate dumpsters.

Read more at CBS Baltimore.

The post Chincoteague Pony Found Dead After Ingesting Dog Food appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

DYFD Winter - 300x90

Comments are closed.